Saturday, January 21, 2012

To the mother with only one child

I was reading this article someone posted on facebook the other day, To The Mother With Only One Child. It is very good, but I wanted to expand on a quote in the article.

"Dear mother of only one child, don’t blame yourself for thinking that your life is hard. You’re suffering now because you’re turning into a new woman, a woman who is never allowed to be alone. For what? Only so that you can become strong enough to be a woman who will be left."

I think of this often, always nervously awaiting it. It almost seems wrong to have to turn yourself into that person who does everything all for another who will eventually need you less and less. Obviously I would subject myself to it no matter what, but I'm not looking forward to the days of letting go. I enjoy the days of holding on way too much. It scares me to think of a time when I cannot be the mama she depends on so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment